Listening to Myself

Friday, April 15, 2005

A Small Amusement

I took this test and I thought the results were kind of funny.



Your Linguistic Profile:



70% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

10% Yankee

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern




Considering I've lived all my life in California, I'm really curious about that 5% dixie and the 15% upper midwestern. The 10% Yankee could be a linguistic "gift" from my step-dad, but who knows. Too bad the test doesn't tell you which answers identify you as which group.

1 Comments:

  • My results were equally surprising --
    65% general American English, 20% Dixie, 10% Upper Midwestern, and 5% Yankee.

    I don't see how that works, given that I was born in Canada, grew up in California, and raised by parents who grew up speaking British-influenced Indian English. I suspect answering yes to "y'all" may have tagged me as Dixie. It's hard to be very accurate in 20 questions.

    Interesting background, via Wikipedia: American English, California English

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home