Listening to Myself

Saturday, August 06, 2005

That cake

Well, the cake didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped, but it still was pretty good. Making an angel food type cake is an interesting experience. I've never taken 3 egg yolks and 3/4 cup of water and turned it into one quart of mixture before! Amazing what beating eggs for a long time will do. The cake did fall a bit in the oven, which defeated my plan to slice the cake in half and put the filling in the middle. It just didn't have the structural integrity to hold up to that kind of treatment. I added more whipped cream to the filling and used it as a topping rather than an icing or a filling, and that worked reasonably well, although I thought it was a little sweet. I also served the whole concoction with strawberries, which was definitely a good idea. It didn't look nearly as pretty as I had hoped, but it still tasted good... and my family is quite forgiving so long as it still tastes good!

I had a very nice birthday dinner and evening - my sister even made it down, which was a nice surprise. Matt's taking me out to brunch tomorrow and then to a matinee of Golda's Balcony in SF. I'm very much looking forward to both things, it should be a nice treat.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home