Listening to Myself

Monday, October 17, 2005

I've been looking forward to blogging tonight, but now that I'm sitting with my computer in my lap I don't seem to have many coherent thoughts in my head. I came down with a cold last week and I'm still trying to get through the tail end of it. Matt came down with it today, poor guy, and I'm really hoping he'll get over it faster than me. I'm also hoping that if Emma hasn't gotten it yet that she won't end up with it... especially since we leave for Portland on Thursday! I'm really looking forward to our trip and getting a chance to look around up there with Matt. At this point I think we've decided (again) that we aren't going to stay in this area, despite whatever enticements my parents try to offer to keep us around. There's a lot that has gone into this - part of it is not really feeling that this area is a good choice for an investment property these days (given how high prices are already), concerns about timing problems when it came time to sell (what if they're ready and we aren't or vice versa), and not really wanting to be entering into another living situation where the timeframe for staying there is for the next couple of years rather than for the foreseeable future. We also feel like it is just too much assistance to accept - too much leaning on my parents to provide for our family - something that bothers both of us quite a bit. It is nice to know that our parents are in the position to help us if we really needed it, but I think it is something else entirely to have them involved to that degree.

We had a nice visit over the weekend with some friends who live on five acres and who just finished having a house built for them (although they are doing quite a bit of finishing work themselves). Seeing their to-do list was a daunting and impressive thing. It made me think a bit more about the commitment and time required to undertake such a endeavor... and it made me think that perhaps I'm not up for all that! Right now I'm leaning more towards large backyard rather than acres, and an existing home (even if it does need work) rather than land. I think that Matt's in agreement about the second part, but perhaps not the first. It is a lot to think about sometimes, but I'm glad that we are thinking and talking about it.

Alright, I've blathered on long enough. I hope everyone who reads this had a lovely weekend!

2 Comments:

  • I would love to build my own house one day, and have a huge list of requirements for style, efficiency, acreage... The only problem is finding the money and time and perfect piece of land and proper architect. A girl can dream, can't she?

    Though I do love my dad's 90-year-old Victorian foursquare, even if the foundation leaks and you can spill something in the dining room and have it drip straight down into the basement.

    By Blogger mrsdarwin, at 8:13 AM  

  • Waiting anxiously to see what happens next! (Life is like that.)

    Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Dy

    By Blogger Dy, at 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home