Listening to Myself

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Tagged

Emily tagged me a couple days ago with a what are you listening to quiz and I think I have a chance now to answer it, although I really don't have much of an answer.

So anyways, here's what I'm supposed to do:
Instructions: List five songs that you are currently enjoying. It doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now.

Post these instructions, the artist and the song in your blog along with your five songs. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.

Well, the thing is, I don't really listen to much music anymore - Emma really is not a music fan and will frequently ask me to turn the music off if I try to listen to something, especially if it is non-instrumental. She's always been like this - even before she could talk she would be fussier if music was on, especially if the music had words to it (no matter what the genre of music it was).

Right now what I have stuck in my head is various songs from The Secret Garden (the musical) as I've been listening to that when I do have an opportunity to do so. The "I Heard Someone Crying" and "Lily's Hazel Eyes" tracks are the ones I hear most frequently in my head the last couple days. It has probably been a week since I've listened to it though. I started listening to it occasionally a couple weeks ago when I began reading The Secret Garden to Emma because I wanted some help with what a Yorkshire accent might actually sound like. I can kind of hear it in my head, but I have a hard time reading the text and having it come out even somewhat intelligibly. Listening to the soundtrack has definitely helped me puzzle through the dialogue in the book, and I think I'm doing a better job at reading it now, which is gratifying.

The other thing I'm listening to recently and that Emma is much more willing to listen to is Symphony No. 2 by Brahms. It was an impulse buy from the iTunes Music Store after Sarah mentioned it on her blog and I am enjoying it very much. I would really like to own more classical music as I do generally enjoy it, but I feel so completely overwhelmed when I look at it I generally don't end up getting anything. I am such an dunderhead in that area, it is just pathetic. It is something I would like to learn more about, but since I really have no idea where to start or what to do, so it hasn't been real high on my list of things to do.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Amber - what fun to hear that you've been listening to the Brahms Symphony No. 2! I think it has some amazingly beautiful moments. I was interested to see that you mentioned the Secret Garden, too! I used to love that book as a little girl. Last year the music and theatre departments here at school combined efforts to perform the musical, and it was amazing. I played violin in the pit orchestra and had a blast. It's a really cool musical to see done live - all of the spirits were dressed all in white and moved behind screens... some very cool effects. I like the music from that musical a lot, particularly I Heard Someone Crying and Lily's Hazel Eyes... also How Could I Know. Have you ever seen the musical? I like the part when Mary throws a tantrum and starts screaming Indian curses. :) My friends and I yelled nasty quotes from that scene at each other as jokes for a long time after the musical... hehe.

    By Blogger sarah marie, at 11:56 AM  

  • That is so neat that you played in the pit orchestra for The Secret Garden! I just love the music for it. I've seen it twice - once from the nosebleed seats at the National Theater in Washington DC (literally only rows from the very top of the theater!) in the early 90's (Jan '93 I think) and once in SF a number of years ago when it came though (and in much better seats!). I loved seeing it - I hope that someday I can see it with Emma and Matt too.

    It is really neat to be reading it to Emma - she's able to pick up on a lot of it and definitely seems to understand what is going on. It is amazing how much higher a child's comprehension is than their speaking ability!

    By Blogger Amber, at 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home