Listening to Myself

Monday, December 05, 2005

Still here...

and still pregnant. Just thought I would let you know.

It is very strange to think that I am now less than a week away from my due date, even though the due date doesn't exactly mean much. It is bugging me a little though, I feel like I am expected to produce this baby by my due date, because due date just sounds so much like a deadline to me. I'd love to just get this crossed of my todo list, but it isn't like there's much I can do about it! Really though, I'm not feeling that anxious (yet) - it is more just a nagging sort of sensation that is developing in the back of my mind.

And why oh why is my f key being so stubborn? Oh, massively grungy keyboard. Eww. Guess I should do something about that.

In the past week and a half or so I've seen 3 movies - which doubles the number of movies I've seen this year. It has just sort of worked out that way... First I saw the new Harry Potter movie with Matt after Thanksgiving, then saw Pride and Prejudice with my book group. Tonight I saw Walk the Line with someone I'm slowly becoming friends with. I've enjoyed them all - although in different ways. (argh, this f key!) The Potter movie was really strictly entertainment and eye candy... seen because we enjoy the franchise and we figured we'd see this newest installment. Pride and Prejudice was our November book (picked in Feb, before we even knew the movie was coming out in Nov) so it just seemed so appropriate to go. I thought they did a very nice job with the adaptation, even if they did take some liberties with the social mores of the time. Still, it was better than I expected it to be, and now I am really looking forward to seeing some of the other adaptations (one is on the way from Netflix as I type). I wasn't really sure what to expect from Walk the Line (my brother had given it a only so-so review, but he is quite a movie snob) but I ended up throughly enjoying it. What an impressive effort from everyone involved in the project. I think one of the parts in the movie I found most moving was the role played by June Carter's parents in Cash's life. The love they had for their somewhat wayward daughter, as well as the love and support they were willing to give to a the massively drug addicted and screwed up Cash was really remarkable. How much easier it would have been for them to walk away from him, and to try and shield their daughter and granddaughters from him... to give in to that urge to protect and to turn away from the ugliness that had consumed Cash. Instead, they encouraged their daughter to help him, and they helped him themselves - showing him love and showing him that there was another way, another path he could take. What absolutely amazing people.

If this baby still hasn't come by this weekend, I'm going to try and go see The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Part of me almost kind of hopes that the baby does wait a little bit longer because it would be awfully neat to see this movie in the theater... but really, that is rather silly isn't it.

2 Comments:

  • I'm glad to hear you liked Pride and Prejudice. I'd been uncertain whether to see it -- the previews really turned me off. (I couldn't bear Darcy telling Elizabeth, "You have bewitched me, body and soul." Gak!) I think at any rate I'll wait until it comes to the cheap theaters.

    Hope baby comes soon and smoothly! I'm eager to hear all about the home birth -- get me ready for my own. :)

    By Blogger mrsdarwin, at 10:20 AM  

  • The line works a little bit better while you are watching movie (or at least it isn't as painful as it is when extracted into a preview). The part I found most painful was when Mr. Bingley drops in on Jane (barely even knocking!) when she's sick at his home... and she's laying in bed wearing her bedclothes. At least Elizabeth is there, but yeesh! Totally wrong! Several of us gasped and exclaimed "what??" at that scene.

    By Blogger Amber, at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home