Listening to Myself

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Election Day and other stuff

I read this morning that this year's "special election" spending has exceeded previous elections, even though there were half as many propositions on the ballot. I reflected back on the election season and realized that we only received one piece of mail relating to the state elections, and that I've only seen a handful of billboards relating to the propositions. We also received absolutely no phone calls (pre-recorded or otherwise). Where ever they were spending the money, it was spectacularly ineffective in reaching this household! Really though, I'm not complaining, although I am curious about where the money went. I guess it must have largely gone towards TV ads?

We also had a record breaking local election, where a real estate developer spent over 3.2 million dollars trying to convince the city's voters that the 2,450 housing unit development they want to put to the north of the city is a good idea. Personally, I think something is not quite as it seems if it requires that much money to convince approximately 80,000 residents that the project is a good idea for the city and I'm very curious to see how this turns out. There are a lot of things about this particular measure that are rather suspect, as well as a lot of promises being made by the developer that aren't actually in the proposition or at all legally enforceable.

Two of the things we're voting on for the state elections are conflicting prescription drug programs for people who meet various income requirements. Both propositions seem pretty suspect to me, and I wasn't really too interested in voting for either one. Matt and I were discussing it this morning and I told him which one I was leaning towards voting for, while remarking that I didn't like either one of them. He astutely observed that I was under no obligation to vote yes on either one of them, and that he was planning on voting no on both. Oh, right... *smacks forehead*

Oh, one more little election thing - I thought this was pretty funny. It seems that when Schwarzenegger's advance staff went to do check to make sure he was on the voter rolls and everything would go smoothly for the usual governor voting photo op, they found that he was marked as having voted already in the machine. After checking things through, they ended up finding out that the people who tested the machines before setting them up had entered his name as a test then never cleared it. Gotta love those computerized voting machines (and their handlers!)

On other subjects, the baby still seems to be more interested in sticking his head into my ribcage than assuming the proper position. I am slowly getting over the urge to poke my belly every 15 minutes to see if he's changed position (managing to restrain myself to every couple hours now) and I've developed a strong dislike for the "breech tilt". I really hope this baby turns soon, because it seems that my birth options, if the baby stays in this position until near my due date, are either an attempted induced birth at UCSF where I get to be a heavily monitored science experiment or a scheduled c-section. Yippee. As I'm sure you can imagine, neither option fills me with joy. Ah, California and its overly zealous liability laws. Thank you for "protecting" me. Blah.

Other changes are afoot around here as well - Matt is currently unloading his computer, filing cabinet, chair, etc from his truck. My brother is coming over at 8 to help him set up the office and tomorrow Matt will start working from home. I'm curious to see how it goes. He's done it upon occasion before, but that's quite different from doing it on a daily basis. I think it will work out well, and I'm looking forward to having lunch with him on a regular basis. I think Emma will be able to leave him alone well enough, and once the baby is born it will be nice to have him around. The only downside I can see right now is that it will probably lead to my husband showering less often. *grin*

Alright, the pasta is almost done boiling so I better get this computer out of the way so I can set the table. I had planned on doing this new recipe for a wild mushroom and potato soup tonight that looked really yummy... and then I forgot to buy the potatoes when I was at the store. So we're having spaghetti and meatballs, which at least has Emma very excited.

1 Comments:

  • I'm with you on the prescription drug dilemma. I didn't know what to vote for either, so I asked a friend who has RA (and thus lots more experience with navigating the prescription drug benefits world), and she said, "well, I'm voting no on both - they both look like they'll make it all more of a mess."

    At which point I too hit my head and said, "ah, yes, of course! I DON'T have to choose one over the other!" :)

    -Jess

    By Blogger Adam, at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home