Listening to Myself

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Venturing Forth

Yesterday I took my first trip out of the house with both children and without Matt. All I have to say is that it has *got* to get easier! *grin* All in all, it went pretty well, but I was definitely worn out by the time we got home. Our objective was to go to the post office to mail a box and buy stamps, then head to the library to return books and check out more. First, it took us almost an hour to get ready, with Emma helping me gather library books as I changed and fed Gregory. Matt helped me get everything and everyone out to the car, and then we were off. As we were leaving it, of course, started to rain... but I had already invested so much preparing physically and mentally for this voyage I decided to just push on. Thankfully the rain was light for the most part, and I did have an umbrella (although of course I forgot to bring a jacket for myself!). The post office portion was fine, even though the line was rather long. Getting two munchkins in and out of the car is definitely a bit more time consuming, and I am very glad that Emma knows enough to just stay by the car once she is out of her carseat. The library was a but more challenging, because Gregory was not terribly happy in the sling and the library was fairly crowded. I think the library experience was probably the hardest on Emma though, because she loves to have me read to her at the library in their comfy couches and to look at all the books we are checking out before we leave. I knew that wouldn't work, so I promised her that we'd read all the library books once we got home and she could look at them in the car on the way home, and thankfully that was enough to advert meltdown. We managed to escape the library without further incident and when we got home we snuggled up on the couch and I read all the library books as I nursed Gregory. It was quite cozy, and we were all quite happy. I do feel a little bad for Emma though, because I know how much she liked our library reading time... but I don't think that's something we'll be able to do again unless we go there alone.

Today we need to head to Trader Joe's... which should be ok so long as I can find a parking spot in their notoriously tight parking lot where I can get both the rear doors open! At least I don't have to wrestle the baby bucket carseat out of the car... I can't stand those things so I always take Gregory in and out of his seat rather than clip the seat in and out. Besides, in our car you can't really get the seat unclipped without moving the front passenger seat forward anyways... so it is pretty much a moot point.

3 Comments:

  • My two are 16 months apart, so I found that my double stroller was an absolute God-send. It was as unwieldy as all get out, but I don't think I'd have ever been able to leave the house without it. Of course, now they're two and three and can get out of the stroller even if they're strapped in, so we don't use that anymore. I confess we don't go to the library much because they think it's really funny to take off running in different directions the moment I release their hands...

    By Blogger mrsdarwin, at 9:11 PM  

  • I think if our next one comes sooner than Gregory did (which is what I'm rather hoping!) we'll probably end up getting one of those too. I'm so glad that Emma doesn't run off on me and will stay where I ask her to - it makes things so much easier!

    By Blogger Amber, at 10:22 PM  

  • It *does* get easier. Much, much easier. I remember the first time I took James and John out and didn't have to consciously stop and think about the process of unloading two. I was halfway through the parking lot when it hit, and I just skipped the rest of the way inside, thinking, "I'm going to live! LIVE, I say!"

    I can usually get three errands run in a day before the toddler-at-the-time fries a circuit, and with three children the hardest part is standing in the door of the car, freezing (b/c no, you'll probably never start remembering a jacket for yourself after you've packed all their things), watching them perform amazing feats of fillibustering. I swear, if one of them broke out a phone book and began reading it aloud while I stood there, I would only be mildly surprised. LOL.

    I'm proud of you for getting out! I think John was several months old before I pulled it off.

    Dy

    By Blogger Dy, at 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home